In the last few days I’ve read articles about Trump and coal, climate change, and the New York Post article giving us 12 years to get our sh*t together to help the planet. (Not to mention the other things happening in the political world today.) It is easy for me to fall in to the “we’re doomed” mindset.
When I read these things I feel pretty helpless as I know a lot of the big change comes from big companies/ decision makers and a lot of that I can’t control. The point is though, that the SMALL things are easy. We can do small things everyday that WILL have an impact whether you choose to believe it or not.
WHY? I think that’s what people really want to know. WHY should I care about these things?
- Do you have kids or want to have kids? Do you want their future planet to be one where the Great Barrier Reef, and Elephants don't exist?
- Do you care about having beautiful green space to explore and visit?
- Do you care about extreme weather patterns and storms causing death and devastation every year? This then effects farms, forest fires, crop yield... and potentially your vacation spot.
There is plenty of science showing that individual, small changes DO add up. (Read Ashlee Piper's book Give a Shi*t for all the sited facts.) Not only do the small actions add up in terms of saving energy, resources, and waste, but they also INSPIRE others.
If you're inspired like me, here are some small things that are truly NOT hard that can have a positive impact on the planet. If you're overwhelmed, just pick one thing that works for you and your lifestyle, and go from there. After all it just starts with one…
-bring your own water bottle (everywhere)
-bring your own coffee or tea cup/thermos. Also coffee just tastes better out of ceramic.
-research a community compost program in your area to help fight food waste (there are lots of options to drop off at farmers markets!)
-if you have Imperfect Produce in your area consider taking advantage of them
-take public transportation if it's available
-ride your bike (praise the Chicago bikers who ride through the winter)
-research eco-friendly hotels
-unplug your appliances when not in use
-don't pre-heat the oven (unless absolutely required for recipe)
- hang dry your clothes (it's so Euro )
- turn the tap off when brushing your teeth
- buy local (everything!)
- shop vintage instead of new
And so many more! Comment below on your “thing” you’re working on.